Friday, April 25, 2008

Networking

During our networking lecture with Fiona McDonald I learnt a lot of new things. After the lecture I was encouraged to network with other people. Networking is mainly connecting with people, primarily for business and social reasons.

For networking to succeed you have to first identify the purpose of the meeting, is it for business. You need also to identify the person you want to target, so that you can gather information about the person. During a function Fiona advised us not to just stand in the corner but rather talk to people, at least 5 people at any occasion because you might talk to a person who will make a difference for you, for it is said, “a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step”.

I learned that for me to be a good networker, I basically need to:

Know how to start a conversation and always having a smile
Be curious about people, asking questions
Be confident and humble
Get people to talk about themselves, which means I have to be a good listen after all we were given two ears and one mouth because listing is twice as harder as talking.
Lastly we should swop details foe example business cards

No comments: